Case Studies | 3D Scanning Applications for Healthcare
Scantech’s 3D scanners have many applications in the medical rehabilitation industry, including customizing medical orthopedic aids and providing data support for medical education and research. From metrology-grade laser 3D scanners to professional-grade color 3D scanner for human body scanning, Scantech’s comprehensive 3D digitizing product line, high-precision data and wide range of application markets are becoming increasingly popular in the medical rehabilitation and medical research fields.
This article summarizes some applications of Scantech’s 3D scanners in the medical industry, from laser 3D scanners to professional-grade infrared handheld color 3D scanner, to help you better understand Scantech’s 3D scanners.
Professional-grade 3D Scanner for Healthcare
The iReal 2E handheld 3D scanner from Scantech iReal 3D, built for body scanning and scanning of medium and large objects, has become a popular 3D scanner in medical applications thanks to the following advantages:
● Non-contact scanning: easy and fast acquisition of high-precision 3D data.
● Light-free scanning: safe and comfortable, patients don’t need to worry about light radiation.
● Support for dark environment scanning: better scanning experience when the patient is scanned naked.
● Simple and easy to operate: 580*550 mm of super large Field of View, 720 mm of large scanning Depth of Field (scanning distance: 280-1000 mm), easy to splice the scanned data, so that doctors can start scanning without much practice.
● Accuracy of up to 1 mm: to ensure the accuracy of the scanned human data, and to provide data support for personalized medical protection.
● Data compatibility: the scanned data can be output in .obj, .stl, .asc and other common formats, which can be seamlessly interfaced with orthopedic design software, 3D printing and engraving machines.
iReal 2E in Spinal Orthopaedics
The main process of customizing a spinal orthopedic program for adolescents under 18 years of age at the Kunming Digital Orthopedic Medical Technology Center.
● Obtain medical images of patients (X-rays, CT, etc.)
● Collect patients information, body measurements, 3D scanned data
● Analysis and planning based on the combination of medical images and 3D data (measure the compensation angle to be corrected and calculate the corresponding pressure by displacement)
● Design corrective support in the software
● Make simulation adaption of designed support, X-ray film and digital model
● 3D print
● Polish and wear Velcro fixed buckle
● Wear it and make appropriate adjustment
3D Fabrication Fixation Devices for Radiotherapy Procedures
3D scan patient head and chest and create 3D printed and fully-matched fixation devices that take the place of traditional positioning films. It ensures positional accuracy and reduces the chances of moves and slips.
Make Orthotic Helmet for Baby’s Head
Cranial deformities in infants like scaphocephaly and acrobrachycephaly have plagued people, especially parents a lot. A soft baby head specially before 18 months is deformed easily due to a compressed surface when sleeping.
iReal 3D scanner with the greatest benefit – invisible light scanning (infrared light) offers babies a comfortable and safe scanning experience to capture accurate 3D data of baby head to make the personalized and custom orthotic helmet.
Make Personalized Orthopedic Gear
The patient’s Achilles tendon was ruptured when playing basketball. After the treatment, the 3D model of his injured leg was captured firstly, and then a perfect orthopedic gear was made through design, reconstruction and 3D printing. It offers more comfortable rehabilitation process and solves problems of plaster such as impermeable, itchy and heavy.
3D Customization of Skin Graft
Self-skin transplantation is a common method to treat skin defects caused by trauma, burns and other factors. Taking iReal 3D scanner to capture the 3D scanning model of skin, it can calculate quickly and accurately the area and thickness of the epidermis. Custom-made overlay skin helps fast repair of injured skin.
3D Printed Arm Assistive Devices
Laser 3D Scanners for Medical Applications
With its metrological level of precision, the laser 3D scanner from Scantech also has a series of advantages in medical applications:
● Laser 3D scanner with the highest accuracy of 0.02mm can be used for high-precision digital analysis of medical models and medical devices and reverse design.
● High precision and high details of laser scanner (The resolution of KSCAN-Magic is up to 0.01mm) have a better reproduction of details of medical devices.
● Strong adaptability on materials deals with most of black and reflective objects without spray powder.
● Different laser modes can help capture whole 3D models.
● They can meet most medical requirements with iReal 3D scanner: human body and objects scanning.
3D Scanning Knee Prothesis Implants
Laser scanners like SIMSCAN and KSCAN-Magic help capture the high-resolution and high-precision 3D models of knee prothesis implants such as patella and tibia without scanning spray powder that can be applied in medical simulation and teaching study.
Medical device and model reverse analysis research
The handheld laser 3D scanner of Scantech can reach the highest accuracy of 0.02 mm, and is not affected by high light and black, and directly obtains the complete 3D model with high accuracy and fineness.
Over the years of development, Scantech’s 3D scanners have shown a great presence in the healthcare industry, and have provided reliable data support for more and more patients to help them recover from burn injuries, orthopedics, etc. Now, with the advent of iReal 3D mapping software, the 3D scanning technology in medical field will have a wider range of applications.